If you are anything like me, you want to avoid aging skin like the plague. There are so many treatments and procedures out there to assist with combating affects of aging skin. The truth is if we don’t nail down a great daily and nightly skin care regimen, our efforts to “treat” our aging skin will be in vain. Skin care products can cost a fortune and sometimes we are just paying for the packaging or branding. I get questions about what I use on my skin to keep it looking young and fresh on a daily basis. There are a ton of products out there and I use my fair share of high and low-end brands, but the majority of my daily products are inexpensive staples that have been around forever. Sometimes when it comes to beauty, it’s best to keep it old school and simple. Here are five of my favorite skin care staples under $10
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- Coconut Oil is the one of the best multi-purpose beauty products out there. I use it to remove makeup, as a nightly moisturizer on my face and body to combat dry skin, and as a cuticle oil to keep my manicure looking fresh! I typically get my coconut oil from the grocery store, but I have seen it at closeout chains like Big Lots and Burlington Coat Factory from about $8
- Yardley Oatmeal & Almond Soap- I am all about exfoliating before treating and this soap is the perfect for gently exfoliating your skin without drying it out. It smells great and lasts a long time. This soap is gentle enough to use as a face cleanser and the best thing about it is that it retails for about $1 a bar. You can find it at almost any drugstore, Dollar Tree, Target, or Wal-Mart.
- Queen Helene Mint Julep Scrub- Did I mention how important it is to exfoliate? This staple is a classic that has proved time and time again that you don’t have to spend a fortune to have great skin! I have used this scrub in my nightly routine 2 times a week for the last 10 years! I swear by it. It’s hard to find an inexpensive scrub that doesn’t irritate the skin. This fresh minty exfoliate gently flakes away dead skin and leaves your skin feeling so soft and refreshed and 6 oz. tube last FOREVER! It does have walnut shells in it, so beware if you have a nut allergy. I typically pick this up at Sally Beauty, but I’ve seen it at local Beauty Supply Stores and Ulta for about $4.
- Witch Hazel- This is my go-to toner right before I moisturize, I go over my face and neck with witch hazel on a cotton ball. I am always amazed at how much stuff is left behind after what I thought was a good cleanse! Witch hazel is great for refreshing the skin and fighting acne because it reduces oil and inflammation. There are lots of great toners on the market, but for less than $5 at most drugstores, I think it’s the way to go.
- Queen Helene Masque- The Mint Julep scrub has a sister and she’s just as awesome! This masque draws out oil, dirt, sweat, and anything else that has been lodged in your pores all week. I use this masque weekly and I have to say it’s one of the things that keeps my skin looking so young and fresh because it gives the illusion of smaller pores and we all want small/invisible pores, right? This usually retails for about $7 at your local Beauty Supply Store or drugstore. You can also get it on Amazon.com!